I - Nomination Process
A1. Nominations shall be made for the positions of President. Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Event Directors and Webmaster in that order. Members can either nominate themselves or be nominated by another member to be considered for the position.
A2. Nominees shall then decide if he or she wants to accept or decline the nomination. Upon acceptance, the nominee becomes an official candidate for the position.
II - Electoral Process
A1. The electoral process will be conducted in the following order: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Event Directors, Webmaster.
B1. Candidates running for the same position will have to make a Speech and have a Question and Answer session individually. All candidates can be present while other nominees of the same category make their speeches. The order of speeches will be determined among the candidates. If no consensus can be made, the incumbent chair will decide the order.
* The time limit for speeches varies according to the position as follows: President- 4 minutes, Vice President- 4 minutes, and all other positions shall be limited to 3 minutes per candidate.
* The time limit for the Question and Answer session varies according to the position as follows: President- 4 minutes, all other officers shall be allowed 3 minutes. The time limit includes the time taken to ask and answer the questions.
* Candidates running for more than one position are required to state their order of preference for the positions at the start of this Question and Answer session.
C1. When all the candidates contesting for a position have undergone the abovementioned process, they shall all exit the room and there shall be a Discussion about them. When the Discussion is over, the candidates shall return to the room and the next group of candidates contesting for the next position shall be called to exit the room.
* This discussion will be an opportunity when members of the floor will be able to give constructive feedback. The feedback given has to be substantiated with an example or a solid reason to ensure that the Discussion remains fair and objective. This Discussion shall be moderated by a member of the existing SMSA committee.
* The length of the Discussion for each position shall be decided by the incumbent President and SMSA committee, depending on the number of candidates running for the post.
III - Voting and Committee Formation
A1. Members eligible to vote shall be given the voting slips at the start of the election process.
i) All past and present paying members are eligible to vote. Individuals that have never been members before will be asked to pay a commitment fee of $10 that may be applied towards next semester's membership fees.
A2. Members are given two votes for each position except Event Director, where they can cast three votes.
B1. Existing SMSA committee members other than the Treasurer shall count the votes.
B2. The Treasurer shall give an update on the Treasury Accounts during vote counting.
C1. The Incoming President will decide the number of Event Directors based on the needs of the club, and will be allowed to make adjustments should there be a change in needs.
C2. For each position, the candidate with the most number of votes shall be elected to the position. For the position of Event Director, the number of candidates (as specified by the President) who have the top number of votes shall be elected to the positions.
C3. In event that a candidate is elected to more than one position, that candidate shall have to decide which position he or she would like to accept. The position(s) that is (are) rejected shall go to the candidates with the next highest number of votes.
D1. The new SMSA committee will be formed when all elected candidates accept their election.